The economic crisis being experienced by the United States had a global impact, directly affecting many industries and businesses. Within the practice of architecture and other disciplines, has lowered the number of projects received, profits, and unfortunately the number of staff. In the article, Understanding Mega trends Helps Firms Plan for the Future, the author BJ Novitski, start questioning whether there are indeed ways that could have been prevented or at least mitigate the effect of this financial crisis, within architecture firms. Novitski presents an interpretation based on some statements that Keagan McLean Raymond made in which notes that the understanding of trends can prevent the effect of future events and also reveal new opportunities. In essence, these statements are true. Individual, company or industry being aware of the trends may be helpful into preparing to stay ahead of the times.
Another approach that the author is very constant within the world of work and architectural firms is the overcrowding of the generation of baby boomers as a factor by which the younger architects are the first fired in times of make staff cuts and get the lowest-paid positions. I agree that this is one reason why there are fewer young architects prepared to take control of the firms as the architects of the generation of baby boomers retire. This aggravates the situation by being denied the opportunity and poster gate junior architects to develop their technical and business skills.
Trends and Practice of Architecture
The fact is evident when a recent graduate in need of employment and faces the classifieds only to realize that most of the available positions are aimed at senior architect with eight years experience or more. On the other hand, I do not agree that these architects should be encouraged junior necessarily a very experienced architect to develop their business skills and leadership, motivation must come primarily from its interest.
Finally, in times of crisis, it is important to have a clear vision of future trends. This allows us to be at the forefront and thus secure to avoid or at least mitigate the negative effects to strategically position ourselves. I think life can be measured on the basis of 90/10 principle, introduced by Steven Covey.  This principle says that life is determined by a 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent is determined by the how you react to those who happen to you.
What does this mean? Means that although we have not actually control 10 percent of what happens to us in life. For example, the economic crisis or not finding employment. The other 90 percent we determine ourselves with our reactions. While we have no control, we can be ready to react when things happen in a way where we can stay afloat while everything collapses around us. Then it is absolutely necessary, as stated by the author, change the focus of the practice to be in tune with the current demands of the world to be aware of trends not only allows you to protect you but let’s turn situations to your advantage.